Stephen Bannon, from Breitbart, is a racist, anti-semite, misogynist… the list goes on. His appointment is a clear indicator of how the Trump administration really feels about the rights and human dignity of million of Americans – at the minimum apathetic, and probably actively hostile. I’m already seeing people saying that Bannon’s words have been rhetoric at his journalism job. Great if true, but I’m planning on taking him at his vile word until proven otherwise.
So how to push back? I’ve seen the following list floating around Facebook:
Here’s a concrete action a friend of a friend proposed: Friends, let’s seek a tactical victory this week. Let’s try to stop the Bannon appointment. Presidents have had to back down before, for comparatively minor reasons. (Some of us are old enough to remember Zoe Baird and Kimba Wood, Bill Clinton’s two AG appointments, who had to withdraw for failing to pay Social Security taxes.) Let’s not assume this is a done deal.
Let’s do what we can to stop this. I have enclosed a list of actions below. Please feel free to add to this, especially those of you with organizing experience (some of whom I’ve tagged).
1) If you live in the US, call your Representatives and Senators and tell them this is unacceptable.
2) Paul Ryan is feigning ignorance again. Call his office at (202) 225-3031 and let him know that this is not ok. Same with Majority Leader McConnell, (202) 224-2541.
3) Call out the media when they report the Bannon appointment as a straight news story or refer to him as a “Breitbart executive” or a “provocateur,” but don’t call him what he is: a white supremacist, anti-semite, misogynist. Don’t let them normalize.
4) Where protests are ongoing, make this the focus, with signs, chants, etc. Next week we can turn out attention to other things. But for now let’s focus like a laser on this.
5) Let’s get religious groups on board; maybe even mainstream business groups, like the Chamber of Commerce (202-659-6000).
6) Contact other people of influence–College presidents, high-profile coaches and anyone else who has a public megaphone.
We can do this. #stopbannon
An additional step proposed by one of my Facebook friends was to sign this petition by Southern Poverty Law Center. Calling reps and other Senate/House leaders is more effective, but every little bit can help.